We all know how important it is to keep in touch with clients on a regular basis to nurture and retain them to keep buying from you. put up your hand if you are guilty of starting a weekly newsletter, all with good intentions to keep writing and publishing only to struggle to get the first one out and have it fall by the wayside at issue two or three.
Let’s face it, who has 3 to 5 or more hours a month to sit down and dream up good content to write on a regular basis? Running the businesses and working with clients gets in the way and no one I know (let alone me) wants to spend a Sunday tapping out well written prose to send to clients to keep in touch, possibly with a touch of guilt at putting aside an activity which is so important.
This lead me to find an easier way to create a regular newsletter in less than 30 minutes a week. Don’t believe me? Then, try this and tell me I’m wrong.
Set Up The Tools And Process For The Weekly Newsletter
It is a prerequisite to have a WordPress website. You can probably hack these steps for other website and newsletter platforms, but WordPress has some inbuilt features and plugins that make the process so simple and effortless.
- Install and configure Newsletter Plugin
- Create an email capture form on website with the Newsletter Plugin
- Install and configure Quick Redirects Plugin
- From your dashboard go to “Tools”and drag the “Press This” link to your Bookmarks in your browser
- Set up content curation methods to receive content published from other sources that you can potentially use in your newsletter AND is high quality and of real value to your subscribers. NOTE: Do not use content from your direct competitors! After all you don’t want to be sending your hard won customers across town. The articles should be related to your industry and your customers interests.
- Set up a unique email address or inbox rules to receive this content. This prevents the articles and news getting lost in your day to day mail.
- Schedule a 30 minute time slot once a week (or 6 minutes a day) to skim through the articles and content you have received and using the process below, select the best ones for your newsletter.
Once you have set the system up on your WordPress Website you are ready to go.
Creating Your Weekly Newsletter
- Using “Press This” bookmark create posts from articles you and your clients may be interested in
- Add a “Featured Image”, ideally from the original article
- Check the excerpt text and format if required
- Add “Categories” and “Tags”
- Set the Quick Page/Post Redirect Link URL to the source URL of the article
- Tick “Make Redirect Active”
- Tick “Open in a new window” if you want the visitor to keep your website open
- Set “Type of Redirect” to “301 Permanent”
- Schedule the publish date in advance so that you publish an article each day before the newsletter is due
Helpful Apps To Get Your Weekly Newsletter Content Automatically
- Google Alerts
- Social Media Posts (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn)
- Subscribe to Newsletters and RSS Feeds
Let us know how you go with your newsletter. If you have any improvements, comments or catches leave a comment below. This process is so simple to implement and you also can have a weekly newsletter with a very small amount of effort.
If you need a hand to set it up, sing out and we’ll be more than happy to assist.